Do you use the telephone, in order to sell your products / services? Do you get nervous? If that’s a “Yes”, here are some telemarketing tips which you may find helpful.
‘Telemarketing’ includes all forms of outbound calls, including appointment setting and direct sales (‘telesales’).
* Use a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system in order to store all of your contacts. A (cloud based) example is www.zoho.com (which we use in our office).
* Have a clear objective for your calls. However, be prepared to be flexible, as the call proceeds (otherwise you will sound like a robot).
* If there is a pre existing relationship, the whole experience will be much less daunting, i.e. via networking. It will help if you have a Customer Attraction System.
* Schedule time during the week to make calls.
* Put yourself in a good mood, by listening to some of your favourite music, before you call. Choose up-tempo tracks.
* Stand up, when you start to make calls.
* Introduce yourself, using your first and last name (no matter how well you know the person you are calling).
* Ask if this is a good time to talk. Most telemarketers don’t do this, so this will differentiate you. Once you have ‘permission to talk’, the conversation will proceed more smoothly.
* Depending on the nature of the call, you may wish to use a brief pre-written script (contact me if you wish to discuss this, as you can achieve up to an 80% success rate with the right wording).
* The objective of the script is to move you from the introduction phase (Part A) to the sales conversation (Part B).
* Ask open questions, as they can’t be answered with a yes or a no.
* Once you are talking to a decision maker, take your time, listen and build the relationship.
* People remember how you made them feel – not precisely what you said.
Within The Marketing Compass, we run a half day telemarketing training day.
Nigel Temple is a sales and marketing consultant, speaker and trainer. He shows business owners, professionals and teams how to get better results from 21st century marketing – including brand awareness, website traffic and sales enquiries. To find out more about Nigel’s services email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Joanna on +44 (0)1628 773128.
He welcomes media enquiries about any aspect of sales or marketing. He has appeared within the national press and broadcast media.
Nigel is the founder of The Marketing Compass – join thousands of business owners, tell us about your business and ask some marketing questions!