* Look for a professional public speaker who has done this many times before.
* They should either pick up the phone when you call, or get back to you within the hour.
* Find someone who understands your objectives.
* During your first conversation, they should listen to you without interrupting.
* Look for someone with a sense of humour; you are not booking a stand up comedian, however, audiences connect with speakers who can make them smile.
* Are they calm?
* Do they understand traditional as well as digital marketing?
* Having listened to you and understood your requirements, are they asking you lots of questions about the event, the audience and what you want them to deliver?
* A few decades of hands on marketing experience would be helpful, both from agency and consulting perspectives.
* Find a speaker who will put the effort into the preparation process.
* Find someone who will turn up early at the venue.
* What sort of follow up services can they offer? For example, are they willing to answer questions after the event?
* Search for their name on Google – what do you find?
Nigel Temple is a marketing speaker and trainer. He is in demand for marketing talks and presentations. You can book him via Specialist Speakers or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on: 01628 773128.