Here is a checklist of what to look for in a marketing speaker:
* Look for a professional public speaker who has done this many times before.
* They should either pick up the phone when you call, or get back to you within the hour.
* Find someone who understands your objectives.
* Look for someone with a sense of humour; you are not booking a stand up comedian, however, audiences connect with speakers who can make them smile.
* During your first conversation, they should listen to you without interrupting.
* Are they calm?
* Do they understand traditional as well as digital marketing?
* Having listened to you and understood your requirements – are they asking you lots of questions about the event, the audience and what you want them to deliver?
* A few decades of hands on marketing experience would be helpful – both from agency and consulting perspectives.
* Can they provide tailored handouts for your event?
* Find a speaker who will put the effort into the preparation process.
* Find someone who will turn up early at the venue.
* What sort of follow up services can they offer? For example, are they willing to answer questions via Twitter or do they have an interactive website where questions can be answered?
* Search for their name on Google – what do you find?
Nigel Temple is a professional marketing speaker and trainer. He is in demand for marketing talks and presentations. You can book him via Specialist Speakers or email email@example.com or call her on +44(0)1628 773128.