If you understand yourself you will be better able to understand others. There are many theories of the self. According to Jane Loevinger there are are seven stages of self development:
1. Opportunist: self protective (“It’s all about me.”)
2. Diplomat: craves acceptance (“Can I join your group?”)
3. Expert: knowledge (“My knowledge is different from yours.”)
4. Achiever: independence (“I am in charge of my life.”)
5. Individualist: questioning the norm (“I like being unconventional.”)
6. Strategist: awareness of the continuum of the development in others (“It is OK for you to be different from me.”)
7. Alchemist: authenticity (“Greater awareness brings its own challenges.”)
Alchemists are authentic leaders. They are intuitive, have strong empathy and they have a sense of humour.
Written by marketing consultant, trainer, speaker and author Nigel Temple.
Join the marketing conversation within The Marketing Compass community.
Discover how to work with Nigel for £97 +VAT: www.navigatorplus.co.uk