Here are 10 top tips for increasing your email newsletter opening rates:
- Use a clear and concise subject line: The subject line is the first thing that subscribers see in their inbox, so make it attention-grabbing and to the point.
- Personalise your emails: Use recipients’ first names in your emails to make them feel more personalised and increase engagement.
- Segment your email list: Divide your email list based on subscribers’ interests, behaviour or other factors to send more targeted and relevant content.
- Optimise email timing: Send emails at the right time. (Mailchimp recommends 6:00am).
- Provide valuable content: Make sure your newsletter provides value to your subscribers. Offer informative content, exclusive deals, or other perks to keep them engaged.
- Use a clear and simple design: Keep your email design clean, simple and easy to read. Avoid cluttered layouts, different fonts or too many images.
- Optimise for mobile devices: A large percentage of email opens happen on mobile devices, so make sure your emails are optimised for mobile screens.
- Test and refine your emails: Experiment with different subject lines, content and design to see what resonates best with your audience. In Mailchimp, for example, you can run an A/B split test.
- Provide an easy opt-out option: Include a clear and easy opt-out link in your emails to avoid annoying your subscribers (or making them mark your emails as spam).
- Monitor and analyse your email performance: Use email analytics tools to track your open and click-through rates and use that data to refine your email strategy.
Nigel Temple provides Mailchimp training.