Google sees inbound links (also known as backlinks) to your website as votes of confidence.
In general, the more inbound links you have, the better as long as they are of good quality.
An inbound link = a hyperlink which is pointing at your website.
Website link building should form part of your ongoing SEO strategy.
1. Gradually get backlinks to your website. Google doesn’t like sudden spikes.
2. Work manually i.e. don’t use bots / software programs / suspicious services from people you don’t know.
3. Include keywords within the anchor text*, where appropriate.
4. The links should come from relevant websites.
5. The links should come from sites with high authority i.e. credible websites.
6. Don’t use paid links.
7. Don’t use email spam to request links.
8. Don’t use link farms.
9. Do keep a meticulous record of your in-bound links.
10. Do check from time to time that the links still work.
*Anchor text: The text within a hyperlink,
i.e: www.nigeltemple.com or Digital marketing consultant